Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Christmas Tree

Jenny explained that since Christmas was fast approaching it was time to put up the tree. She reminded me that everything had to be ready in time for Santa's visit on Christmas Eve. The degree to which my parents fussed over the tree led me to believe he was very particular. Jenny asked me if I liked it, but how could I like something that looked and smelled so artificial?

First, Dad brought the tree upstairs, removed it from a long box and carefully put the pieces together. Once it stood upright he and Jenny carefully opened the branches. Little pieces fell onto the floor but they didn't seem to mind. Next came a string of lights then the garland. It was funny to see my parents paying so much attention to a pretend tree when they barely noticed real trees! I on the other hand love running under and around trees in my never ending search for bunnies. So what made this fake tree so special? Why is it only set up once a year?

Just when I thought the tree was dressed up enough they decided to embarrass it further by adding ornaments of all shapes and sizes. Some ornaments looked like tiny replicas of children's toys while others were homemade or hand painted. Many of the glass balls and other equally delicate ones were placed near the top. Did my parents think I would knock them down and break them?

After the ornaments came one final touch. Dad placed a small girl with wings on the very top. Why would a girl have wings? Did she live in Christmas trees? Would she watch over us? Will she come alive on Christmas day? I imagined that she might swoop down to tell us that it's time to open up the presents. I wonder if she knows the tooth fairy? I hope Santa brings me chicken treats.

I must admit that despite the silly decorations, and bad smell of the fake tree it looks very beautiful!

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson #32 Don't let your tree be a fashion victim. Decorate responsibly!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Lottie - I know you are very busy with all your holiday preparations! I wanted to see if you could lend a paw to help raise awareness of animal adoption for all the doggies that haven't found their forever homes yet? Let me know if you can, and would like to! My email is victoria@rocketxl.com , and thank you!

    ReplyDelete