Sunday, November 29, 2009

Idiosyncrasies


Jenny taught me a new word. It is called idiosyncrasies. She said it is a kind of peculiarity or eccentricity that helps to characterize someone. I told her that I didn't have any, but she disagreed. According to her most dogs or people have idiosyncrasies and don't even know it. They sound kind of sneaky to me. She said that you have to get to know someone very well before their idiosyncrasy becomes visible. She says I have two.

Idiosyncrasy no. 1 - obsessive paw licking

Apparently I become mesmerized when I lick my front paws. Jenny attributes this to my high strung, obsessive nature. I prefer to think of myself as alert, and focused. I mostly lick my front paws when I'm bored, which is quite often. I find the days long especially during the cold season. My parents give me a lot of attention, but sometimes it's not enough and I have to take matters into my own paws.

Idiosyncrasy no. 2 - sitting down while I eat

My parents have never seen a dog eat sitting down before. I don't see the big deal, after all they eat sitting down everyday! So what's the difference? Whenever I do it they find it amusing and tell me I look cute, but I eat sitting down for a very good reason that has nothing to do with cuteness. My front legs are much shorter than my back ones so if I eat standing up I slide around on the kitchen floor. To avoid sliding I have to control my muscles and shift my weight around. As you can imagine it is most annoying. It didn't take long before I realized that sitting would be the solution.

Although I pride myself on my keen powers of observation I'm not sure what my parents idiosyncrasies are yet. It's almost like the moment when you're out walking in the grass and you smell something familiar but completely unidentifiable. I will have to watch them more closely and report back at a later date.

I shall show great resolve in my resolve to solve this mystery!

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson# 31 Idiosyncrasies are both fascinating and contradictory. They are simultaneously unique and common, hidden and revealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment