Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Mirror

Jenny did the strangest thing today. She picked me up, held me tight, and made me look at myself. I stared into a mirror, and I didn't like it one bit. First, I don't like being picked up (unless I'm tired or being placed into a lap). Secondly, I don't understand why she wanted me to watch myself in the mirror.

I've been trying to figure out this human mystery but so far no luck. What is the mirrors purpose?

Was Jenny trying to show me something? I don't know what it could have been, afterall I know what Jenny looks like and she knows what I look like. Besides the mirror made Jenny and I look funny. It mostly looked like us, but we looked slightly different somehow, almost backwards.

Was she waiting for something to happen? Was the mirror supposed to talk like the movie box does? I've never caught the mirror doing anything. It just sits there and doesn't move, speak, or eat. We have many other objects in the house that perform a function. The chair pulls out for sitting, the refrigerator opens and closes and most importantly holds food, the plants grow, the radio sings, but what does the mirror do?

The mirror was smooth and sleek and kind of clear almost like the window, but much less useful in my opinion. The window lets me see many things. It shows me the streets around us, trees, houses, birds, people passing by, cars, dogs, and it also keeps the cold wind out.

When windows are clean (not like the car windows that I lick compulsively) I believe they showcase the world accurately. As far as I can tell the mirror shows us only distorted images of ourselves.

While I'm no closer to understanding what the mirrors purpose is, I do feel that I understand what it is not. It is not truthful or useful and should be moved aside for something that is.

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson # 29 Mysterious things devoid of truth or utility have no place in a happy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment