Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mornings

I love mornings! I especially love it when Jenny stays home to share them with me. There is something unique about this time of day that distinguishes it from the afternoon, evening, or night. Let me explain.

I'm usually woken up by a loud, obnoxious, self-important sounding alarm. Jenny gets up, gets dressed, and I follow her into the kitchen. She sits down on the floor, grabs me and smothers me with kisses and says "Good morning Lottie." Next she asks me if I'm hungry and I jump up excitedly to show that I am. I eat and drink quickly as I am still not able to savour each morsel.

Then I run to the living room window and inspect the neighbourhood while I wait for Jenny to get her coat and boots on. Each day I hope that this will be the time she forgets to put my harness on, but she never does. She says "Lottie, come here, we have to put your harness on." Sometimes I defiantly look away and pretend I don't hear, but she moves closer and puts it on me anyway while declaring "you have to put your harness on if you want to go outside." I can barely contain myself the moment the door opens. I jump and whine and as soon as I feel the blast of cool air I unleash a mighty bark upon the world (which humans rarely appreciate).

This morning was wonderful. It was quiet, fresh smelling, bright, clear, and slightly cool. Only a few cars passed by. I sniffed the ground and the air. I watched and listened for birds and squirrels ( I haven't seen any bunnies for ages) but heard neither. The loudest noise was the sound of Jenny's boots crunching through the snow. My leash prevents me from going very far, and sometimes this bothers me, but it is much more tolerable in the morning. It even adds to the feeling of connectedness with Jenny. Mornings hold so much promise, they feel optimistic, joyful, tranquil, and special and I love sharing all of this with her.

After we get back she cleans me up, has her breakfast and pours the coffee. She invites me to sit with her in the coziest chair which she and Dad call the "grandpa chair" and we look out the window together. This morning we saw many long shadows across the front yard and on the street. I wish mornings would never end...

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson # 36 Mornings hold our hopes and offer in return a fresh start to all who are willing to embrace them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!! My Mommy loved reading your blog. You sure are a cutie. I hope we can be friends!

    Woof Y'all,
    T.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks! Jenny just checked your blog too. She is a little behind...but told me to tell you that you are very cute and brave. She enjoyed reading Life Rule no.3 "Make Routine Shows of Bravery". Excellent advice. Take care T.J.

    With love & cuddles,
    Lottie

    ReplyDelete