Monday, May 4, 2009

Friends

I'm happy to say that I have two friends in the neighbourhood, Chief and Toby. Chief is a boy and Toby is a girl like me. We are all mutts and are proud of it. While I don't have anything against purebreds, I find their name exclusive and classist (and if that's not a real word it should be). What is so special about their lineage? Can't mutts be pure? Jenny tells me I'm a very good girl all the time! Anyway, friends accept each other just the way they are, cracked paws and all.
I will admit that it hasn't always been easy.

I met Chief last spring when I moved into town, and I found him rather forward. He's older, blond, and while I was out enjoying my morning walk he came right over and proceeded to smell my rear end! Of course I had to tell him off, but the next day I got even and did the same thing to him. It was all rather shocking but after awhile we got used to each other and now we greet each other warmly every time we meet.

Toby was much more difficult. She is older, white, and much larger than me. I would see her almost every weekend and I found her a little scary. So I barked at her every time for almost a year! She doggedly refused to bark back... she would just stare at me in amazement. She must have thought I was crazy. Recently, I decided that I need her as a friend so now when I see her I greet her and try to convince her to play. Truthfully, I'm very happy to see her. She still just stares at me. Hmmm...Perhaps she still thinks I'm crazy... anyhow I'm optimistic that soon we will play together.

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



PS. Lesson#2 It's important to make friends, even when it's hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment