Sunday, September 20, 2009

Books

What are books? Why do my parents happily stare at them for hours? What do they do? What is their purpose?

They don't make any noise, or move by themselves. They wouldn't keep anyone warm like a blanket, they don't smell like anything special (just dust or ink), and I've never seen my parents eat them, so what is the appeal? Why do they have so many?

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not complaining. Actually I like it when they sit down and open one, because they always invite me to sit with them, and I know they won't be getting up for a long time. It's just that I don't understand what books are for. My parents stare at the movie box too, but movies make interesting sounds and show things moving (not real moving just pretend moving), that I understand.

Yesterday, Jenny sat down beside me on the couch and picked up a new book. I told her I was happy to let her join me by wagging my tail and licking her hand. Then I looked at her quizzically. I think she picked up on this because she told me that it was "book time" and she proceeded to open the book and stare quietly. I watched her expression soften and felt her muscles relax while she sank deeper into the couch. She looked happy. I don't know what the book was telling her but she was listening. Do books speak a silent language that only people can understand? I wonder if it feels anything like going for a walk and watching the sun go down? I hope she tells me more about books in the future. I'd love to unlock their mystery.

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson# 21 Books are mysterious things that make people happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment