Sunday, September 27, 2009

Work

What is work? Why do my parents have to do it? How can I stop it? It's all so puzzling.

Before Jenny announces that she is leaving for work she always tells me to be a good girl and reminds me that she'll be back later. This usually means that she will leave and not return for many, many hours, although it can also mean that she is busy with something and doesn't want to be interrupted. Apparently she doesn't need my help when she is "working in the kitchen" or "doing housework".

Daddy gets busy with work too. Sometimes he does "outdoor work" like sweeping the garage, or making the grass shorter with the noisy machine. He also runs the very loud and scary vacuum, but mostly he works on his computer.

I just don't understand what "work" is. Does the word apply to everything that doesn't involve me? Maybe if I involved myself in their work it would cease to function? Perhaps "work" is like a spell that can be broken?

Why must they focus on something other than me? What could possibly be more important than belly rubs and cuddles? How can I convince them to stop working? Maybe I could do their work for them? I'm teachable. Or maybe if I act extra sad and pull out the puppy dog eyes on them before they go, they will find someone else to do it? Aside from blocking the doorway or applying guilt I don't think I will be able to stop them. Grrr....Sometimes it's hard being a dog.

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson # 22 Work is like a shape-shifter. It takes on many forms, it's hard to define, and even harder to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment