Sunday, October 4, 2009

Inter-species friendships

Since I am a dog, the comings and goings of my life are directed by my parental guardians. Everyday they make decisions regarding my food, walking, bathroom, and sleep schedule in addition to grooming, and veterinarian visitations. Most topics leave little room for negotiation, however, there is one exception. I decide who I want to be friends with.

For instance, I am friends with Chief and Toby, but not with Hudson, Zoey, or the many other dogs whose names I don't know. I can tell that my parents would like me to have more friends, but I'm afraid that is up to me. Jenny has told me that I shouldn't limit myself to dogs. She has suggested that I remain open-minded, and receptive to forming friendships with animals from other species. She says it would be enriching and rewarding.

She has told me that there are many examples of inter-species friendships. Sometimes one of the animals is orphaned, and a mother from another species steps in to help, while other times neither animal is orphaned. She claims that friendships have existed, and will continue to exist, between cats and birds, cats and rats, dogs and cats, and she even told me a story about an orphaned baby Hippopotamus named Owen who befriended a 130 year old Tortoise named Mzee in Mombasa.

Since I have never met a hippopotamus or tortoise, I'll surmise that it is because they live very far away. Maybe I should try befriending a bird instead? Perhaps I could get one to teach me how to sing? What would I sing about? Or maybe I could convince a red squirrel to be my friend? She could show me where she's hidden her treasure. I wonder if I could find a bunny for a friend? We could chase each other around the yard! Why didn't I think of this before?


With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson# 23 Remain open to exploring new and unusual friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment