Sunday, October 18, 2009

Barking

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I love to bark! When I am outside I bark at anyone that passes by whether they are people, dogs, cats, or squirrels. It really doesn't matter I just enjoy it. Barking makes me feel tough, and in control. Sometimes I bark just to hear my own voice. When I am inside I like to sit on my favourite chair look out the window and bark at everything that moves. My parents tell me to "stop barking" and after letting out one or two softer barks to show my displeasure with their command, that is usually the end of it.

But today my barking got me into trouble. I was sitting on Dad's lap in my favourite chair by the window when Jenny came in carrying tea for Dad. She was in the process of handing him the tea when I barked and startled her. She spilled hot tea on me, Dad, and both chairs. She looked shocked and Dad was angry. He put me down, stood up and wiped up himself, the chairs, and the floor. Once again I was told "no barking". Only this time I knew they really meant it. I tried my best to look cute and loveable but my efforts were all in vain. After this I kept extra quiet and held a sorry, repentant look on my face.

Shortly thereafter they told me that they loved me, but that I needed to be a good girl and to save my barking for important things. This will be really challenging for me because I love barking so much, it's just part of my nature, however, I'm really going to try this time. I know that listening and observing has its rewards too. Is this why I have two ears, two eyes, and only one mouth?

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson# 25 Never bark more than you listen or you may end up in hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment