Sunday, October 11, 2009

The lump

My parents tricked me! Instead of taking me on a fun car ride to the park, they took me to the veterinarian! They wanted to show the man the mysterious new lump on my belly. Don't they know how much I hate it there?

The awful smell was the first thing to hit me. The place looked very clean, but smelled like a mixture of bleach and other chemicals, in addition to the smell of fear. Humans probably don't notice this since their noses are not built for it, but animals give off a unique smell when they are afraid. Fear smells kind of earthy, sweaty, and sour. It doesn't make for a relaxing environment despite the good intentions of the people there.

The lady at the front spoke softly to me and even offered me a treat this time but I declined. It's hard to enjoy a snack when you're shaking from fear. After they weighed me I got to see the vet. He seemed nice enough, but he always pokes me! This time he decided that my lump needed to be removed and sent away to a lab for testing. My parents are hoping it is benign whatever that means. After the examination the man took me away and the next thing I remember was walking back down the hall and seeing my parents. I was so tired on the way home that I could barely keep my head up. Jenny told me that the vet gave me a sedative and a local anesthetic before removing the lump and sewing me back up.

That evening was rough. After the sedative wore off I felt the pain and whimpered frequently. Jenny stayed close by and did her best to soothe me, but things didn't get any better until the next day. The 2nd day brought discomfort and minimal movement. I found it hard to get comfortable and didn't do any jumping or running. My parents kindly picked me up and put me on the couch or chair whenever they noticed I wanted up. I've also slept a lot lately. It's just easier that way. My stitches were especially itchy on the 3rd day. I had to get sneaky with my scratching since Jenny was quick to stop me which was very frustrating. Things have improved each day since then.

I still don't understand why I got a lump, or why it had to be removed, but I know myself well enough to know that there is much I don't know, and will never know. The one thing I am most sure of is that my parents love me and will do their best to keep me healthy (even if it involves a small measure of deceit). If anyone wanted my recipe for happiness I would tell them that the two most important ingredients are love and health. As I learn more I will bark you the rest of the recipe...

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson# 24 Look after yourself and when you can't let those who love you help.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lottie
    We are sorry you have a lump and hope that the test results are good news. We're thinking about you.
    Love Ruby & Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ruby and Penny! You are very kind. I appreciate the support.

    with love & cuddles,
    Lottie

    ReplyDelete