Saturday, September 12, 2009

The three-legged cat

Today I visited the three-legged cat! I first met him a year ago but don't see him very often, however Jenny and I spotted him this morning while we were out walking.

He came towards us, and Jenny, unsure of how I would react, shortened my leash and reminded me to be nice to him. Whenever we spot a cat she tells me the same thing, "be nice to the Kitty Cat." I think she knows I'd like to chase it like I do the bunnies. She patted the cat while I checked him over. He has grey fur that is fluffy, but matted in spots. The condition of his fur and the scratches on his nose make him look tough, but his actions were surprisingly genteel. He layed down on the grass content to have human attention. Jenny continued to pet him while I gave him a good sniffing which he didn't like, so he got up and left. We continued on as well.

I enjoyed the impromptu visit and was left with a feeling of admiration for the cat. He travels amazingly well considering his condition. He walks freely and quickly with periodic stops for rest. How did he lose his back leg? Where is it now? Does he miss it? Would I fare as well with three legs? Do other animals make false assumptions about him? Is he a mouser? How is it that he is more confident with three legs than I am with four? Does he have a home? Does he have a name? When will I see him again? Will he become my friend?

As usual I have more questions than answers, but unfortunately I'll have to wait and see...... Uhhhhg! Waiting is hard.

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



Lesson # 20 Appearances can be deceiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment