Sunday, August 2, 2009

Vocabulary

Jenny tells me I have an impressive vocabulary for a dog. I'm not surprised, she spends a lot of time talking to me. She has taught me many words and phrases. My favourite topics of discussion involve walking, running, eating, sleeping, cuddling, and going for car rides. I never tire of these things. I've surprised my parents a few times by listening when they thought I was sleeping or when they thought I couldn't hear them whispering. Sometimes they forget that I can hear better than them.

It is very comforting to know that things and actions have names. It makes the world seem less chaotic and makes me feel like I have a place in it. For instance, when I'm out with Jenny and if she sees a "bunny" before I do she will say "look, a bunny!" and we will chase it together. When we reach a hill she asks me if I want to "go up the hill" and if I do we will run up it. If I don't I proceed to ignore her or munch on grass. Whatever I decide, it feels like we understand each other and are experiencing something together. I know that some owners don't talk to their dogs unless they are mad at them or wish to teach them silly tricks for their own amusement. I feel very sad for these dogs. If only their owners knew how much untapped potential was inside each of us I think they would treat us differently.

The only downside to having a full vocabulary is that sometimes you have to hear things you don't like. My least favourite words involve teeth brushing, veterinarians, and ticks. Hmmm...If only I could figure out a way to make these words disappear perhaps I wouldn't have to experience them.

With love & cuddles,
Lottie



PS. Lesson #14 An extensive vocabulary will aid communication and instill a sense of togetherness that will enrich all experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment